[PLUG] Cant always SSH to box but can ping it for days

Jeff Moore Jeff.Moore at chemeketa.edu
Wed Nov 15 15:21:31 UTC 2006

Think I got it! I noticed this morning that when I pinged the 10.x.x.10 address I would get a .3 ms reply with a TTL=64. However every so often this would change to .7ms reply with a TTL=255 and my connection would drop. Very wierd. Seemed like there was another host with the same address. There were no arp entries in my router to support this theory. Regardless I decided to change the address of the interface. Boom now its been working stable for an hour or so. It responds immediately when I ssh and the ping stays constant at .3ms and TTL=64. I am unable to ping the old address so I am not sure what exactly was going on. Oh and I killed the forward record for the old address. I didnt think ssh was dns dependent. Thanks All!
jm