[PLUG] NTFS Support?

someone plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Wed Nov 15 09:10:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 18:11 -0800, Charlie Schluting wrote:
> On 11/3/06 5:03 PM, Pomeroy Lab wrote:
> > I've been studdying Knoppix, Fedora core 6 and other linux installations and I just can't figure out how to get NTFS support. Nothing lets me have RW access to the partitions. According to the output in the terminal I should not even be able to have RW permission to the root of the Fedora install partition when I am logged into Root in the terminal. It does not give the same options as FC5. But in any case this is not an advantage to me because no matter what kind of Linux I use I can't open and change files in NTFS. I can open them with Knoppix but thats where it ends.
> >

> Did you even google it?
>
> Apparently you can right-click the NTFS partition ("drive") and select
> the r/w option.
>
> Or `mount -o remount,rw /mountpoint` might work?
>
>  -Charlie

Why can ext2/ext3 filesystems occupy larger partitions than FAT
filesystems can?  I'm suspicious of NTFS even on Windows 2000/XP.
I question how NTFS is supposedly an improvement over FAT where
I'm even more concerned that the tools Microsoft puts out
developed originally for FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 filesystems aren't
suited to NTFS.  I wish Microsoft was a company that respects
the GPL.  I'd love to see Microsoft throw out all of it's
proprietary filesystems in exchange for better OSS replacements.
For those working on ReactOS, I think installing to an ext3
instead of an NTFS filesystem is where the focus should be.  Is
there a project to allow for installation of a MS Windows system
to a free modern filesystem that Linux can handle well?

Does Vista even allow for installation to a FAT32 filesystem?

BTW:
Is there a trick to get XP to activate on second and third
installations, hard drives do wear out after all?  Microsoft
will undoubtedly want everyone who still uses Windows to
buy Vista soon enough, but I'm not interested.  I am hopeful
about the ReactOS project, but I'm still not certain if it
will ever become a complete drop in substitute for XP.  Why
isn't there a free Windows clone around that's comparable to
at least Windows 2000 which Microsoft is trying to drop
support for now?

Michael C. Robinson