[PLUG] AMD64, Java, and Flash.

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Thu Nov 16 06:49:52 UTC 2006

Alan Olsen wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Brent Rieck <bsr at spek.org> wrote:
>>
>> alan wrote:
>> > The problem is in certain closed source apps.  Flash will run in 64 bit
>> > soon enough now that Adobe has opensourced it.
>>
>> whaa?  when did that happen?
>
> Last week.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200611/110706Mozilla.html

Hmm, that sounds a lot like a fancy virtual machine for javascript (or
ECMA-262 which Flash uses and calls ActionScript) and not a Flash player
itself.  And the Mozilla project is talking about a 2008 release date
for it being integrated with Firefox[1], which isn't exactly "soon
enough" in my opinion.  It looks like we'll still have to wait for the
foot dragging Adobe to get a Flash player for Linux.

--Brent

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/faq.html#when