[PLUG] Internet growth, RFC 1918 addressing...

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Nov 16 17:57:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, someone wrote:

> How do you program bind 9 to realize it shouldn't ask ANY Internet
> name server to resolve a particular domain name while keeping this a
> possibility for other domain names?

Just declare your local instance of BIND to be the master for the
namespace in question. Your named.conf will look something like

  // where to find info on zones for which we're not master
  // or secondary
  zone "." IN {
    type hint;
    file "named.root";
  }

  // declare ourselves masters of the .robinson DNS space,
  // making hostnames like www.robinson or ftp.robinson
  // perfectly legal for all hosts that use this DNS server
  // for name resolution
  zone "robinson" IN {
    type master;
    file "zone.robinson";
  }

And so forth. I did a BIND writeup for Carla Schroder a couple years
ago that has some practical examples and some links to weightier
reference works:

  http://www.madboa.com/geek/soho-bind/

> Is it standard practice to use one's globally registered domain name
> to name hosts connected via RFC 1918 subnets?

Practices vary widely. Often, internal subnets will be apportioned a
distinctive slice of the public namespace like "intranet.bigcorp.com,"
but that's certainly not the only way to do it. If you control both
the .net and .com versions of your namespace, you could reserve .net
for internal and .com for external addresses...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com