[PLUG] Formatting thumb drive

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 03:49:43 UTC 2006

# from John Jason Jordan
# on Friday 17 November 2006 07:25 pm:

>And do I assume correctly that if I
>use my Linux computer to reformat the drive (FAT32), I will finally
>exorcise the evil installed on it by SanDisk?

Maybe, but why do you need to?  (Formatting a usb drive on Linux may
render it incompatible with some computers (I've seen trouble just
trying to mount it on different linux boxen), though that seems to have
been healed in recent kernels.)

I'm wondering if you're actually getting it deleted or just wandering
into something funky with the automounter.  If you do the following, do
you still see the files on the second ls?  If not, then try the windows
box and see if something really funky is going on.

  mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb
  ls -a /media/usb/
  # rm whatever files offend you
  umount /media/usb
  mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb
  ls -a /media/usb/

--Eric
--
"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that
bother me, it's the parts that I do understand."