[PLUG] Formatting thumb drive

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Nov 18 21:02:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 23:09:13 -0800
"Russ Johnson" <russj at dimstar.net> dijo:

> On 11/17/06, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Both are SanDisk Cruzer drives.

> Is the second one a  "U3" drive? If so, the utilities on it are designed to
> be on it.
>
> Here's a web site explaining it... and supposedly, how to remove them.

Thanks! That did it. The uninstall utility popped up a window saying it
could not run because it required XP, not 2000. But it offered
"continue" as well as "quit," so I clicked on "continue." It proceeded
to work anyway. Except it offered to wipe the U3 stuff and leave the
data, but that part didn't work. It wiped it clean. Oh well. It's now a
plain USB flash drive.

But a warning to y'all -- don't buy a new SanDisk drive, because
evidently they all now come with this craptacular U3 junkware.