[PLUG] Emacs Outline Mode for Program Code?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Nov 21 18:57:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Rich, have I got an editor for you!! It's called Leo (Literate Editor for
> Outlines). It's written in Python and does exactly that sort of thing. If
> you're spoiled by vim or emacs, it will connect to both of them.

Ed,

   It looks like a stand-alone product with tcl/tk for a GUI widget set. I'll
look to see if its functionality can be used from within emacs.

   The reason I'm on this issue is that some of my module files are getting
large, and I want to navigate quickly among bound methods and other
functions. Years ago (mid-1980s to mid-1990s), when I was writing in C on
DOS I used a wonderful editor called Multi-Edit. It had the ability to
collapse the code based on a starting column. So, for example, since all
functions began in column 1, I could collapse the code and see only the
first line of each function. Moving the cursor to that line and expanding
the display put me just where I wanted to be. Much as I like emacs, I would
like to regain that capability.

   Speedbars (thanks, Ali!), and other options may do the trick. With
speedbars active I can see all the files in the directory, but I need to see
if I can tag classes and methods in .py files so they're directly
accessible, too.

Thanks,