[PLUG] Emacs Outline Mode for Program Code?

ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Tue Nov 21 21:23:29 UTC 2006

> Ed,
>
>    I've discovered two wonderfully useful things this morning: 1)
> speedbars
> is installed in my emacs ('m-x speedbars' brings it right up), and B)
> clicking with both buttons on a .py file name icon displays the included
> classes while a double click on the class name icon displays the included
> methods. This is exactly the functionality I sought (thank you again,
> Ali!)
> and even better than Multi-Edits approach because it's in a separate
> window
> and lets me work in the main display while it's open.
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863

I am curious whether you know about ECB, or Emacs Code Browser.  It opens
speedbar and a few other neat buffers when you do an "M-x ecb-activate".
One of the buffers is a class browser that I have seen work well for java,
C, lisp and php.  I'll bet it can do python too.  The buffer shows info
like the following (a java example).  If you middle-click a line, it jumps
you to that part of the code.

[+] Imports
[-] +FdkFileUtils : class
   [+] Parents
   [-] Variables
      -fileManager : FileManager
   +FdkFileUtils (username : String,password : String,serverUrl :
String,session : HttpSession)
   +FdkFileUtils (session : HttpSession)
   +addCategoryToDocument (documentItem : Item,categoryDefinition :
NamedValue[]) : Item
   +createFolder (name : String,description : String,parentId : long) : Item
   +createProjectFolder (name : String,description : String,library :
String) : Item
   +getFileManager () : FileManager
   +getFolderAttributes () : AttributeRequest[]
   +getLibrary (library : String) : Item
   +getLibrary (library : String,attributeRequest : AttributeRequest[]) :
Item
   +getProjectTemplate () : Item
   +resolvePath (path : String) : Item
   +resolvePath (path : String,attributeRequest : AttributeRequest[]) : Item
   +updateFolder (folderId : long,attributes :
NamedValue[],attributeRequest : AttributeRequest[]) : Item
   +uploadDocument (document : Document) : Item
   -createHttpConnection (url : URL) : HTTPConnection
   -getPathFromItem (item : Item) : String
   -getRequestedAttributeFromItem (item : Item,attributeName : String) :
Object
   -initializeFileManager () : void
   -setFileManager (fileManager : FileManager) : void
[+] Package

Carlos