[PLUG] APC Smart Slot and NUTS...

someone plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Thu Nov 23 08:04:31 UTC 2006

Does anyone use an APC Smart Slot 9607 on an APC SU1000NET
UPS with network ups tools?  I'm running nut on three
connected Linux servers.  Right now, I only have signal
to one of them.

I'm trying to decide if buying two more serial smart cables
and this smart slot or picking up two more SU1000NET UPS'es,
possibly without batteries, is the better way to go.  Can
one of these units without a battery still signal?  Can
nuts be configured to use the signal off of one these UPS'es
if it doesn't have a battery?  Well, I have to buy or make
another signal cable or two either way, but what I'm essentially
noticing is that the price difference doesn't seem all that
great between the smart slot plus 2 serial smart cables route
verses second unit without battery or accessories route.  The
latter route does become more expensive by the time I get a
2nd signal cable and replace the battery, but why spend money
on a smart slot if I'm going to acquire more physical
units anyways?

I am leaning toward getting more units so I can eventually
increase the runtime.  I really don't want to make any one
of these three servers depend on the other two for signal.
With the smart slot 9607 option, I don't know if I would create
the problem of all three servers trying to control one
UPS fighting each other over it.

I'm thinking, "get a good battery later," no big deal if I
can use a unit without a good battery just for signal.

If the smart slot serial port expander that allows for two more
signal cables works with nuts, that could give me independent
signal. Unfortunately, the smart slot solution will not increase
runtime.  A unit without a battery on ebay is about $10 more
than the combination of a smart slot and two more smart cables
(shipped).

A new battery can be had for around $70 shipped unless there is a
cheaper local source of RBC6 replacement batteries?

If I use network ups tools to capture signal off an APC Smart SU1000NET,
can I add an APC Smart Slot 9607 to signal two more nut enabled machines
independently?  If there are problems with Smart Slot 9607 and nut, can
I use another SU1000NET without a battery installed for a
secondary signal source instead?

Michael C. Robinson