[PLUG] Low Power DVI video cards?

Dan Young danielmyoung at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 06:01:37 UTC 2006

On 11/29/06, Paul Mullen <pm at nellump.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 02:28:04PM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > Any suggestions for low power DVI video cards (with Linux drivers,
> > of course)?
>
> Between 'man radeon' and Wikipedia's "Radeon R200" entry, you ought to
> be able to pick a suitable older ATi-based card. The latest that is
> fully supported by the X.Org drivers (meaning 3-D and all that good
> stuff) is the 9200-something, IIRC. Newer cards are useable with
> binary ATi-supplied drivers (if you can sleep with yourself after
> stooping so low). Most cards in the Radeon 9xxx range can be purchased
> brand new for $20-40.

R300-based (and R4XX?) cards now have a modicum of free software
support also, via the new r300 drivers in Xorg 7.1. My Radeon 9500
works great in Fedora Core 6, including teh Compiz/AIGLX bling. OK,
there's the slow scrolling in web browsers, but look at my desktop
spin! ;-)

Can't say it qualifies as a low power card, however.

--
Dan