[PLUG] Invite: Informal security chat - Oct 20th

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Thu Oct 5 22:05:05 UTC 2006

Ok, we have more than 5. :)

----------------------
Informal Security Chat
----------------------

What:

Geeks gather and talk about practical security practices and personal
experiences in attempting to provide a more secure computing
environment.  Emphasis on GNU/Linux, all UNIX's basically apply.

Why:

After working on a recent system with LVM, dm-crypt, OpenVPN, etc., I
was curious how others handled the problems I was trying to solve, to
see the creativity of others and to provide my own experiences to those
who might benefit.

When:

October 20th, 2006

Start gathering around 18:30 to begin at 19:00.  I can go fairly late,
but lets say we cap it at midnight.

Where:

http://www.subtend.net/contact

Informal agenda:

* Local storage encryption: performance and management
* Key and passphrase management: multi-employee consulting
environments, change control
* Passphrase generation
* Tinfoil-hat vs. practical use of security practices
* Log/IDS analysis: useful, and time effective methods of parsing large
amounts of data
* Tying it all together: system, network, application security..
finding the weak points
* securing off-site backups
* working with users to determine appropriate security policies
* administrative password change policies and practices
* wireless networking security practices and configurations

Notes:
* This isn't necessarily a meeting on crypto.  I doubt many of us will
be able to argue the strength and math of Blowfish vs. AES.  Flame wars
such as SSL vs. IPsec are more appropriate. :)
* Please RSVP.  If more than 15 want to show up, there might be a
seating/space problem.

--
I'm just a packet pusher.