[PLUG] Partition analysis

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Oct 7 03:42:42 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
 >> /dev/hda2   *         200        2810    20972857+  83  Linux
>> I'm not sure why hda2 is as big as it is.

>   What do you see in /etc/fstab? That relates the partition to the
> filesystem mounted on it. It will tell you what is assigned where.

rsteff at Moonguide:~> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda5  /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/hda6  /home                reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/hda1  swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
/dev/hdb1  /home/rsteff/2ndDrive  reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 2
proc       /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs      /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs    /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs      /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts     /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
/dev/fd0   /media/floppy        auto       noauto,user,sync      0 0

>   Even better is to type 'df -h'. This shows the partition, mount point,
> and size.

rsteff at Moonguide:~>  df -h
/dev/hda5              14G   12G  2.2G  85% /
udev                  507M  160K  506M   1% /dev
/dev/hda6              21G   14G  7.2G  66% /home
/dev/hdb1             9.6G  4.0G  5.7G  42% /home/rsteff/2ndDrive

For example, my server/workstation is set up this way:

<...>
> /dev/hda2              55M   40M   16M  72% /boot

Odd. /dev/hda2 doesn't show up in these lists on my machine, but it does
with fdisk, and the machine boots.

>   Note that /boot takes only 16M (of 55 available); but that's for
> Slackware. The /vm partition is where VMware lives.
>
>> So, before I go messing up the partition table, what's a reasonable size
>> for the boot partition?
>
>   Depending on the number of kernels you want available, and their
> compression, you could probably be well servered with a 25M /boot.

Sounds like I could recover 19.5 GB, easily. But I guess I should
understand why it's not showing up in fstab or with df before I go
adjusting things.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens