[PLUG] Partition analysis

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Sat Oct 7 22:00:08 UTC 2006

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> >> /dev/hda2   *         200        2810    20972857+  83  Linux
>>> I'm not sure why hda2 is as big as it is.
>
>>   What do you see in /etc/fstab? That relates the partition to the
>> filesystem mounted on it. It will tell you what is assigned where.
>
> rsteff at Moonguide:~> cat /etc/fstab
> /dev/hda5  /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 1
> /dev/hda6  /home                reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 2
> /dev/hda1  swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
> /dev/hdb1  /home/rsteff/2ndDrive  reiserfs   acl,user_xattr        1 2
> proc       /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
> sysfs      /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
> debugfs    /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
> usbfs      /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
> devpts     /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
> /dev/fd0   /media/floppy        auto       noauto,user,sync      0 0
>
>>   Even better is to type 'df -h'. This shows the partition, mount
>> point, and size.
>
> rsteff at Moonguide:~>  df -h
> /dev/hda5              14G   12G  2.2G  85% /
> udev                  507M  160K  506M   1% /dev
> /dev/hda6              21G   14G  7.2G  66% /home
> /dev/hdb1             9.6G  4.0G  5.7G  42% /home/rsteff/2ndDrive
>
> For example, my server/workstation is set up this way:
>>
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> <...>
>> /dev/hda2              55M   40M   16M  72% /boot
>
> Odd. /dev/hda2 doesn't show up in these lists on my machine, but it
> does with fdisk, and the machine boots.
>
>>   Note that /boot takes only 16M (of 55 available); but that's for
>> Slackware. The /vm partition is where VMware lives.
>>
>>> So, before I go messing up the partition table, what's a reasonable
>>> size
>>> for the boot partition?
>>
>>   Depending on the number of kernels you want available, and their
>> compression, you could probably be well servered with a 25M /boot.
>
> Sounds like I could recover 19.5 GB, easily. But I guess I should
> understand why it's not showing up in fstab or with df before I go
> adjusting things.

According to man df on my system, "If no file name is given, the space
available on all currently mounted file systems is shown."  So I would
guess that /dev/hda2 doesn't show up because it isn't mounted.  I have
two partitions (created recently for an alternate installation) that I
haven't added to my fstab and have not mounted, and they don't show up
when I do "df -h".

Seems odd, though, that it wouldn't be in your fstab.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson