[PLUG] building xchat, missing perl, Ubuntu Dapper

Keith kewradio at newsguy.com
Sun Oct 8 02:08:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, TedK wrote:

> I'm trying to build Xchat and it configures but make tells me it cannot find
> -lperl. As far as I can tell I have perl installed. It's not clear to me
> from the Synaptic Package Manager what perl library I am missing. Has anyone
> built Xchat sucessfully on Ubuntu Dapper? Can anyone tell me what library I
> am missing and where to get it?
>

> I can run Xchat-gnome I think successfully although I don't have anyone to
> chat with. It comes up and I can see the channels. But I wanted to run the
> original Xchat.
>

> Here is the message I get..
>

> gcc -shared  .libs/perl.o  -L/usr/local/lib
> /usr/lib/perl/5.8/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE
> -lperl -lm -
>
> lpthread -lcrypt -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so  -Wl,-E -Wl,--export-dynamic
> -Wl,-soname -Wl,perl.so -o .libs/perl.so
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lperl
>
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

  I think you need to install the perl-modules package

The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister
A scripting language with delusions of full language-hood, Perl is used
in many system scripts and utilities.

This is a stripped down Perl with only essential libraries.  To make
full use of Perl, you'll want to install the `perl', `perl-modules' and
optionally `perl-doc' packages which supplement this one.