[PLUG] avoiding "Argument list too long" error.

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Oct 9 23:16:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Daniel Hedlund wrote:

> alan wrote:
>> It is larger now, but still starts to slow down A LOT after about 100,000
>> files.
>
> I believe this is why the '-O dir_index' option now exists in
> mkfs.ext3/mke2fs and tune2fs:
> "Use  hashed  b-trees  to  speed  up lookups in large directories."
>
> I'm not sure if this is implemented implicitly with ext3 or if it has to be
> specified explicitly.  Anyone know the answer to this?

I am pretty sure you have to set this by hand.  It is not backwards
compatible to older kernels and it requires running "e2fsck -D" on the
partition afterwards.  Not something you do on a whim.

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink