[PLUG] K3B vs Command Line vs Anything Else

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 00:00:53 UTC 2006

Back when I was running SuSE 9.1 on my 500 MHz machine I had a problem
with the K3B CD burning software. If I tried to start the program after
the machine had been up for awhile (days) K3B would hang while trying to
find the CD burner. If I re-booted and ran K3B right away, it worked
fine. As I didn't burn too many CDs, I lived with this, assuming that I
was pushing the limits of the machine.

Now that I have SuSE 10.1 running on a 1.7 GHz machine with 1 GB of
memory, I expected that problem to go away. It hasn't. I'll try to
figure out with whom to file the bug report, but in the meantime, can
anyone recommend some good reading material on how to construct which
command to achieve the same results? I realize that's a big question,
which is why I'm asking what manual to read instead of what command to
type. :-)

Alternatively, or in addition, does anyone have a recommendation for a
GUI tool for burning CDs? I need to burn both data and audio CDs.

And while on the subject of audio CDs, my recollection is that 700MB
CD-Rs work for audio. Do I remember correctly, or am I mistaken?

Thanks.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens