[PLUG] K3B vs Command Line vs Anything Else

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 15:25:51 UTC 2006

alan wrote:

 > I have not had problems with k3b.
 >
 > I have had problems with having a marginal burner.
 > Replacing the drive fixed the problem.

Strange that the drive can work OK sometimes and not others.

Thanks for the report.

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I've used only xcdroast for years. Or, I'll use the mkisofs and cdrecord
> tools which the xcdroast uses under the hood.

I've just installed xcdroast 0.98alpha15. It started up fine, took a
while looking for devices, made some ratcheting noises on at least one
of them, and then provided this list:

Starting to scan for devices...
[ATA:1,0,0] SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-252S  R951
[ATA:1,1,0] SAMSUNG  DVD-ROM SD-604   1.0
[ATAPI:0,0,0] SAMSUNG  CD-R/RW SW-252S  R951
[ATAPI:0,1,0] SAMSUNG  DVD-ROM SD-604   1.0
Scan finished.

I guess that means that it found what it needed. I'll have to read up on
the difference between ATA and ATAPI.

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can find an LP I need on a CD to test it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens