Resolved: [PLUG] K3B vs Command Line vs Anything Else

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 22:33:29 UTC 2006

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 14:23:35 -0700
"Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> dijo:

> X-CD-Roast successfully burned an audio CD for me with minimal effort on
> my part. Plays fine in our boom-box. I will deprecate K3B in favor of
> X-CD-Roast.

I'm sure X-CD-Roast is a wonderful program. Considering the strong
recommendation above, I installed it. Fifteen minutes later I
uninstalled it.

Why? Well, for starters, it insisted that I launch it first as root to
configure it. I did so, and there was a button to start it so that any
user could launch it. I did so. Then there was a button to go ahead and
launch it. I clicked on it and it launched it, but insisted that there
was no configuration file. After a while I found the config settings
and told it to save them. Then I exited and restarted, whereupon it
repeated that there was no config file. After three attempts I finally
got it to launch without that error message.

Then I put a CD in the drive and told it to duplicate it, whereupon it
told me that it could not find any CD drives. I told it to rescan and
it still couldn't find the CD drive. Finally I added it manually. It
took a lot more fiddling around, but eventually I came to the
conclusion that it is not able to see my CD-DVD R+W drive. Oddly, when
I told it manually that the device was /dev/hdc it found the stuff
identifying the manufacturer and model number (or what looked like a
manufacturer and model number). I can put a CD in the drive, the drive
whirs, Nautilus pops up a window, but X-CD-Roast says the drive is
empty. It shows an icon for the drive and everything, it just can't
read it. Also the Eject button doesn't work, more evidence that there
is a fundamental problem.

So, back to K3b and Gnomebaker. They read/write to the drive just fine.
Time to leave well enough alone. :)