[PLUG] NUTS, PERL, NFS incompatibilities...

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 22:43:03 UTC 2006

RH7.3 is "ancient", seriously consider upgrading.  If you can't,
prepare to build a new kernel and replace some core binaries so it is
at least _somewhat_ bugfixed, secure, and interoperable.

Warnings on doing an NFS mount between versions is "normal", as long
as the mount still takes place you're OK.  RPC/mountd/lockd/statd
versions change, versions of nfsutils/mount change, etc and generate
warnings.

I wouldn't say you're running bleeding edge there... RH6/7 and FC3 are
pretty much outdated.  At the very least, they're full of known issues
that have been fixed in recent distros/kernels/packages, since they
haven't had updates for a while.

Get some packet captures and strace output of the client when you
attempt these mounts, it should shed significant light on what's going
on.

Cheers,

/eli