[PLUG] Ultrabay swap (was external USB 2 drive ...)

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Oct 12 19:57:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:41:19PM -0700, Rogan Creswick wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> >My approach for on-the-road backup for my IBM T30 is to use a hard
> >drive ultrabay adapter.
>
> I've actually started doing this too -- although not for backups (yet)
> just to have more space. I haven't tried it, but thinkwiki claims you
> can hot-swap these drives now:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices

Outstanding!  Alan Cox put drive swap into the later 2.4.x kernels,
and the 2.6.x folk took it back out.  It is good to see it is in
there again.  I use hotswap on my server, and this means I can
upgrade my kernel.

For the backups, I am taking things down to single user so the machine
is quiet, so it would not save me much effort for the T30.  But it
would be nice for single file restores!

Keith