[PLUG] Re: debugging hyperthreading problems

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Oct 12 21:25:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 10:53 -0700, drew wymore wrote:
> Bringing this thread back to life. Still trying to figure this one out. I
> have ruled out SSH as using Telnet causes the same behavior with the second
> CPU enabled. However with both CPU's going and logging in locally the issue
> doesn't happen. So its something with sockets/bash or some other weirdness
> but I'm at a loss now. Someone at work suggested maybe a glibc problem but
> I'm running a recent version that supports NPTL and bash is using those libs
> and when I force standard linux thread libs it still has the same problem.
>
> Anyone ideas?

Something funny is going on with interrupts, probably.

 o Have you tried a different NIC, preferably not on-board?
 o Have you tried pinging it, preferably more than the default 4 times
   Windows ping does? You might find some odd variances in ping times
   where there should be none.
 o If you can do a flood ping or otherwise send other traffic to the
   host while making the connection and see if that causes it to not
   happen--it sounds like a buffer somewhere isn't getting flushed as
   often as expected and pumping data through might cause it to be
   flushed.
 o Run Wireshark (nee Ethereal) while logging in and compare packet
   timings, look for broken packets, etc.
 o Check /etc/profile, /etc/profile.d, /etc/bashrc to see if something
   gets run or set on login.  You might temporarily enable tracing by
   putting 'set -x' at the top of the /etc/profile and see if you can
   pinpoint where it stops, if it actually stops.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
http://nakedape.cc