[PLUG] dumping unix for linux

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 13 17:09:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 08:27:49PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm looking at reasons to migrate from Unix to Linux. So far I've come up
> with:
>
> -cost
> -flexibility
> -better feature set
> -dependency-resolving installers like apt and yum
> -runs on lower-cost hardware
> -not moldy
>
> *bsd or OpenSolaris are also possibilities. I don't have any Unix experience,
> so I'd appreciate some wisdom from wizened I mean wise old Unix geeks.

As a wizened old Unix user (1975-1999), my main reasons for switching
to Linux were:

1) Rapidly developing and adaptive ( "not moldy?")

2) Books and online information and community.  Far more information on
   how most things actually work.

3) Open source.  Sometimes the code needs tweaking.  Sometimes you have
   to look at the source to see why things do what they do.

4) Control.  I am master of my own systems and software.  I choose upgrades
   and fixes on my own schedule and for my own needs.

5) Opportunities to give back to the community.  Open source users help
   each other, and helping others builds character.

These features were not available for Solaris, closed BSDs, and SVR4
variants when I was using them.  The deciding moment for me was when
I was unable to patch or replace some of the applications that were
Y2K noncompliant on a proprietary *nix.  So here I am...

Keith