[PLUG] K3B vs Command Line vs Anything Else

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Fri Oct 13 21:38:55 UTC 2006

Elliott Mitchell wrote:
>> From: "Rogan Creswick" <creswick at gmail.com>
>> On 10/11/06, Michael M. <nixlists at writemoore.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Isn't cdrecord on its way out?  Debian has already replaced it (in fact,
>>> my update this morning to Etch removed the cdrecord package), and from
>>> what I understand, SuSE, Red Hat and others will follow suit.
>>>
>> What is it being replaced with?
>>

> `wodim` from "cdrkit", http://www.cdrkit.org/  Looks to simply be a fork
> of `cdrecord` due to those maintainence difficulties. Bit of a pity
> there, I've found I like FreeBSD's `burncd` utility to have a slightly
> nicer command line.
>
> Of course if you're adventuresome you can try the kernel's UDF
> write/packet writing capability. Seems to work pretty well with RW media.

Just don't rely on UDF for anything other than short-term
storage/transfer.  The beginning of the end of my trust in proprietary
software solutions was when I discovered I'd been hoodwinked by
Adaptec/Roxio's fantabulous marketing claims for packet-writing to
CD/RW.  "Use your CD-ROM drive just like a floppy drive and get 500X the
storage capacity!"  Yeah ... how about, "Lose 500X the amount of data
you can with a floppy!"

But then, I've never claimed that I've never been naive.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson