[PLUG] dumping unix for linux

Steve D... blitters at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 01:45:18 UTC 2006

On 10/12/06, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at reasons to migrate from Unix to Linux.

  I'm an old Solaris admin, with a lot of time on HP-UX, Apollo
Domain, and Xenix systems.  I also served an extended sentence as a
System Programmer in an IBM mainframe shop.

  The biggest difference I see with OSS is that you are free from
vendor lock-in.  You don't have some sales vampire with their hand in
your back pocket.  I could carry on all night with horror stories from
my encounters with SUN, HP, and IBM sales staff.  It's been a decade,
but I *still* carry a cold place in my heart for HP-UX because of my
last encounters with their sales staff.

  To paraphrase a comment made by a Wall Street CIO.  He didn't give
damn what OS his server farm was running.  He switched from Solaris to
Linux because when he put out an RFP for server chassis, he had Dell,
Compaq, and IBM tripping over each other to give him the best quote.

Steve D...

--
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned
my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake,