[PLUG] Syntax to connect to network drive

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Oct 15 17:16:15 UTC 2006

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:55:34 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

> jjj at Devil5:~$ sudo mount -t smbfs "//Devil4/Linux_Backups" /media/smb
>
> That command finally worked, except I got the following error:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
> on //Devil4/Linux_Backups, missing codepage or other error
>        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>        dmesg | tail  or so

> jjj at Devil5:~$ dmesg | tail
<snippage of irrelevant stuff>
> [27136.988451] smb_fill_super: missing data argument
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know what it might mean.

OK, it's morning and the coffee is working. I've been googling and
still can't get it to work. But something occurred to
me: //Devil4/Linux_Backups is already mounted. Nautilus sees it and I
can drag and drop files to and from it with Nautilus. Therefore, it
must be mounted, right?

If that is the case, I don't need to mount it. I just need the command
line syntax to put files on it with cp, rsync, tar, etc. I tried:

cp /home/jjj/CheatSheet //Devil4/Linux_Backups/CheatSheet

But that gives me "cp: cannot create regular file
`//Devil4/Linux_Backups/CheatSheet': No such file or directory." I can
drag CheatSheet to the Windows share with Nautilus, but the command
line syntax is wrong. The ls command (and presumably all others) gives
equivalent error messages:

jjj at Devil5:~$ ls //Devil4/Linux_Backups
ls: //Devil4/Linux_Backups: No such file or directory

I think the problem is that I need to figure out where Samba mounted
the share. The mount command doesn't reveal anything obvious to me:

jjj at Devil5:~$ mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw)
varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /media/hda3 type ext3 (rw)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

How do I figure out where Samba mounted it? Or is my thinking completely wrong?