[PLUG] dumping unix for linux

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Oct 16 17:23:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Robert Anderson wrote:

> I have found that what management really cares about is cost. Cost of
> migrating, cost of licensing, cost of hardware, and ongoing cost of
> ownership. If you can spell things out in dollars and cents, they will go
> for it. They probably don't care that penguins are cute. Although, you are
> right... penguins are cute.

I have found that to be false in most cases.  Otherwise why would anyone
ever buy a Windows print server CAL?

What they want is security.  They want to go with what makes them
comfortable, no matter how much more it costs them.  If they believe that
Windows will give them that "warm and fuzzy experience", then they will go
with Windows.  For some shops it is Solaris.  Others it is Oracle.

Cost is rarely the number one reason for any management choice.  They are
managers, not accountants.  (Besides...  If they don't spend all of their
budget, they get less next year.)

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink