[PLUG] dumping unix for Linux

tkubaska at charter.net tkubaska at charter.net
Mon Oct 16 18:58:13 UTC 2006

About the UNIX/Linux issue ...

What I've seen is companies wanting to contract and not hire support staff. Reasons are I surmise that they don't want full-time people that are not directly generating revenue and it's much easier to let a contract expire or cancel one than it is to lay off employees.

Companies that used to have full-time security people and full-time building maintenance, now often contract that out.

There are support Linux companies that one can contract with, but (and please correct me if I'm wrong) they appear to be small ops and not general comp support -- that is, you contract for specific apps and configs.

This discussion about dumping UNIX for Linux brings up Microsoft and I don't think Microsoft is doing UNIX support currently, but then I don't really know.

I'm sure this is not the only issue ... many other valid ones brought up here. But it's definitely part of the mix.
 -Ted