[PLUG] dumping unix for Linux

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Oct 16 19:18:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 11:58:13AM -0700, tkubaska at charter.net wrote:

> There are support Linux companies that one can contract with, but
> (and please correct me if I'm wrong) they appear to be small ops
> and not general comp support -- that is, you contract for specific
> apps and configs.

Uh ... IBM?  Novell?  Redhat?  Expensive, but quite large and
general.  If you mean there are no large local Linux support shops
like there is for M$, that is true but not really important (unless
you are looking for a job in such a shop).

There are some perfectly adequate general-purpose local Linux support
companies;  there is a list at www.possepdx.org .  Some of them will
grow quite large in time, as the need appears;  there is certainly
enough local talent to grow out of.  But one real advantage of Linux
compared to other non-Unix systems is that it can be securely supported
from anywhere.  I don't /need/ any more than a local screwdriver jockey
to physically maintain systems.  Software/application wise, experts in
Europe or Asia can (in principle) maintain my machines as well as an
expert in Tigard can.  I contract locally because good talent is here,
and I suspect that the talent suppliers will grow faster than I can.
The fact that I /like/ these folks as well is a pure bonus.

Keith