[PLUG] Wireless Cards - (was "Linux Clinic today")

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Oct 16 21:13:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> If your laptop has builtin wireless, you might be able to get that
> running with some work.  However, laptop builtin chipsets are often
> obscure (we spent 4 hours fighting a Broadcom BCM43xx chipset), and
> even if you get them running they are typically low power with limited
> range.  Personally, I prefer a card that I can pull out and keep in
> my pocket - then I can be sure I am offline, whether or not my software
> has been damaged, and I am not wasting battery power while offline.

I wish I would have been there.  I have that driver working.

It is now supported by the kernel, but you have to find the firmware
packages.  They can either be obtained from the debian packages or
seperated from the Windows drivers with an application in Fedora.
("fwcutter")

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink