[PLUG] dumping unix for linux

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Mon Oct 16 21:23:44 UTC 2006

I agree 100% with Wil.  It is the APPLICATIONS that count.
If this wasn't true I would never ever run Windows.

Linux is easier to use than most other Unix OSs, and it
has tons and tons of ready to load applications available
for it.  Has a result, it makes a wonderful desktop for
lots of people.  I personally prefer Linux to Windows
or Mac OS because:

    -  It is easy to administrate
       (This is also true of any good Unix.
       Some people even think Windows is easy to administrate, but I
       have trouble.)
    -  It is easy and friendly to use
       (at least for a power user like most PLUG members)
       Most other Unix OSs have desktops similar to Linux, but they
       aren't quite as nice.
    -  There are tons of OpenSource applications for Linux
       (These can be ported to most any Unix or even Windows, but they
       are usually ready to run on my Linux desktop without any pain at all.)
    -  Linux networks well with any Unix machine
       This makes it easy to use specialized proprietary applications on
       proprietary Unix computers without the expense of giving everyone
       a proprietary Unix computer.
    -  Linux sort of works with Windows thanks to products like
       Samba, Wine, and VMWare.
       This isn't perfect, but it is better than many proprietary Unix
       computers do.

On the other hand, I would never restrict myself entirely to Linux.
Many applications (mostly proprietary) are only available for Windows
or some proprietary Unix.  If you need SAS or ArcInfo you need to
run something other than Linux.  Moreover, Linux is getting more
and more stable, but it still lacks features some people need in
enterprise computing.  At least, I think it does.  This becomes less
true everyday.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist