[PLUG] dumping unix for linux

Robert Anderson riznob at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 22:51:46 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Robert Anderson wrote:
>
> > I have found that what management really cares about is cost. Cost of
> > migrating, cost of licensing, cost of hardware, and ongoing cost of
> > ownership. If you can spell things out in dollars and cents, they will
> go
> > for it. They probably don't care that penguins are cute. Although, you
> are
> > right... penguins are cute.
>
> I have found that to be false in most cases.  Otherwise why would anyone
> ever buy a Windows print server CAL?
>
> What they want is security.  They want to go with what makes them
> comfortable, no matter how much more it costs them.  If they believe that
> Windows will give them that "warm and fuzzy experience", then they will go
> with Windows.  For some shops it is Solaris.  Others it is Oracle.
>
> Cost is rarely the number one reason for any management choice.  They are
> managers, not accountants.  (Besides...  If they don't spend all of their
> budget, they get less next year.)
>

> --
> "Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
> lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink
> from... the FIRE HOOOOOSE!"

If you run a windows shop, and have no expertise in linux or unix, then a
"Windows print server CAL" may be a more cost effective solution that open
source alternatives. All software has a cost, even if the licensing is free.
In some cases, it is more cost effective to buy software with a big price
tag from a vendor than it is to use an open source solution or to develop an
in-house solution. Management like to rely on vendor provided support for
the "warm fuzzy feeling" you describe. This is directly related to the cost
of ownership. Security, in the sense that you mention, is very important.
Again, I think this is related to cost of ownership. Managers like to be
able to predict costs. If they know there is a licensing and support cost
that is payable to a vendor, it becomes a line item in the budget. If you
decide to use an open source solution, your cost is a big question mark. How
much will it cost to implement, support, fix bugs, resolve issues? Sure, you
can estimate these cost, but what if you're wrong? How much variation
between the estimated cost and the actual cost can be tollorated. These
things play a huge deciding factor when management chooses a solution.

--
Rob Anderson
riznob at gmail.com