[PLUG] Grimoires on the Dark arts, necromancy, possession, Windows, etc.

John Purser jmpurser at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 19:56:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 12:44 -0700, Charlie Schluting wrote:
> Aaron Burt wrote:
> >
> > Add a CCNA and you're a High-Dollar Network Engineer.  Combine with a
> > Linux cert and you're Cross-Platform.  RHCE is the best-known, but LPI
> > is way cheap through Free Geek and studying for it is amazingly educational.
> >

> Wow. First, everyone knows that MCSE especially, and CCNA's to a lesser
> degree, don't know much. PHB's don't normally make the hiring decisions,
> it's the people who already do the work. After you get the interview,
> it's all about technical knowledge rather than certs. Do feel free to
> state "instructor-level knowledge for CCNP and RHCE," that works well
> for getting past HR :)
>
> I do agree that getting certs (shady business, as the cert industry is)
> is a good way to get entry-level jobs. Afterward, experience and
> networking (the people kind) are what's required. It's really scary to
> explain technical things to MCSE's sometimes.. and yes they do make
> decent money. But if you ever want to get out of the rage they're in, it
> won't happen with only cert knowledge.
>
> And finally, CCNA holders don't get high-dollar wages. Many people
> looking for mid-level network engineers won't even consider CCNA's. They
> might consider a CCNP holder, if you have tons of experience too, but
> you're really better off not going the cert route.
>
>  -Charlie

I'd have to agree 100% with what BOTH Aaron and Charlie wrote.  For my
planned career an MCSE is useless for everything EXCEPT getting by the
HR department who will be screening the resumes before the hiring
manager ever sees one.  And there it's well nigh indispensable.  But I'm
working on my LPI now and don't have time (or the inclination) to pursue
a MS cert now.  I have these Windows resources that will go to the
library tomorrow unless I find someone who wants them.  No point in
letting them become obsolete dust collectors in my closet.

Plenty of other books on VB and various other nooks and crannies of the
MS world going as well.  Holler if interested.

John Purser