[PLUG] Moving to Portland, and...

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 20 00:39:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 02:43:32PM -0600, Skip Evans wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I will soon be relocating to Portland and was
> wondering if the PLUG meetings are still active,
> and if anyone has directions to the meeting place.
>
> I'll be living down in the SE part of the city (I
> think) not far from Powell's Books and that neck
> of the woods. I think it's called the Nob Hill
> neighborhood, near that cool movie theater, 21st
> Century(?) I think?
>
> Address is 2104 Glisan Street, if that helps.
> Butte, Montana 59701

We are quite active.  You can look at the website for time and place,
www.pdxlinux,org.

We typically have 30-50 at the general meeting, 20 at advanced topics,
and 12 or so at the Linux Clinic.  There are also meetings for Perl,
Ruby, Plone, Open Source Entrepreneurs, Personal Telco (community
wifi) and lunch meetings at the Open Technology Business Center.
Occasionally special events at Portland State University or elsewhere;
we've recently had Richard Stallman, Jeff Waugh and Mark Shuttleworth,
and we will have Cory Doctorow on 11/16 .   Plan on being immersed in
Penguin Luv.

Unfortunately, there is no Glisan street in southeast.

2104 *North West* Glisan is in the neighborhood sometimes called
Nob Hill and more often just the Northwest, close to the Cinema
21 theater.  However, I think that location is a one story shop
building, with a pharmacy at 2100 NW Glisan if I recall.  Perhaps
there are upstairs apartments that I haven't seen.  There is also

I am guessing that you are talking 2014 Glisan, the Biltmore
Apartments.  You will be near two busy streets and a couple of
busy taverns, so I hope a Montana boy can get used to the city
noises!  The park across the street from 2104 is nice on a summer
day, and there is a free wifi node nearby, but there are sometimes
evil doings there at night.

And remember, no discharging of firearms in the city, unless you
are a police officer and the suspect is unarmed :-/

Keith