[PLUG] Moving to Portland, and...

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 20 03:32:59 UTC 2006

Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
>
>> You will also discover that the greater Portland area is divided into
>> six quadrants: N, NE, NW, SW, SE, and S.
>

> Huh?!?  Who ever refers to "South Portland"?!?
<...>
> Huh (again)?!?  If you're south of the Clackamas, then you're also east
> of the Willamette.  So that's SE Portland.  Once you're outside the city
> limits, nobody cares.

You've missed a significant word in my statement: greater. I never said
that there was a South Portland, or that there were streets named S.
something in the city of Portland. For confirmation of my description,
have a look at The Thomas Guide or GoogleMaps.

The "great renaming" (I don't recall when it happened, or if it was
really called the "great renaming") involved the cooperation of most of
the communities that make up the metropolitan Portland area (in Oregon),
which includes parts of Washington and Clackamas counties in addition to
Multnomah. The cooperation got a little fuzzy in Gresham. They kept
their name and numbering system, as did Oregon City. But the counties
around them switched. I live outside Oregon City, and have a S. street
name. SE 242nd Ave changes its name to SE Hogan Road when it crosses the
county line, and enters Gresham, changes to NE Hogan Drive when it
crosses Powell, and then becomes NE 242nd Dr when it crosses Stark.

(Note to Skip: As you can see, we sometimes get carried away with off
topic stuff.)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens