[PLUG] cups silliness

Dan Young danielmyoung at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 04:49:07 UTC 2006

On 20 Oct 2006 21:32:35 -0700, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> I am a cups newbie, so naturally it doesn't take much to make me
> confused.  I have cups running on the various hosts on my network, I
> can print local (to the printer).  I can also submit print jobs from
> the clients, but for some reason the remotely-submitted jobs just sit
> in the printer-local host's queue.  Any hints on how to debug this?
>
>   $ lpq -P dj
>   dj is ready and printing
>   Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
>   active  russell 235     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   1st     russell 236     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   2nd     russell 237     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   3rd     russell 238     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   4th     russell 239     test.ps                         687104 bytes

Anything interesting at http://localhost:631/jobs ?

CUPS uses Apache-style ACLs (i.e. <Location /> \n Order Deny,Allow \n
Deny from All \n Allow from localhost \n </Location>) and allows most
things only for localhost out of the box, so you might want to check
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Tailing /var/log/cups/* can be informative, possibly more so after
setting "LogLevel debug" in cupsd.conf.

--
Dan