[PLUG] cups silliness

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Oct 21 04:59:14 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 21:32, Russell Senior wrote:

> I am a cups newbie, so naturally it doesn't take much to make me
> confused.  I have cups running on the various hosts on my network, I
> can print local (to the printer).  I can also submit print jobs from
> the clients, but for some reason the remotely-submitted jobs just sit
> in the printer-local host's queue.  Any hints on how to debug this?
>
>   $ lpq -P dj
>   dj is ready and printing
>   Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
>   active  russell 235     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   1st     russell 236     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   2nd     russell 237     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   3rd     russell 238     test.ps                         687104 bytes
>   4th     russell 239     test.ps                         687104 bytes

What do your logfiles (/var/log/cups) say? The default loglevel is info, so
you might need to kick it up to debug to get useful information (cupsd.conf).
Clear your print queue with lprm, restart cups, and try it again.

It could be that network sharing is not enabled. This is a basic barebones
cupsd.conf that should work:

LogLevel debug
Port 631
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.1.*
</Location>
BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255

this free- yes, free free free!- book chapter should help:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/chapter/