[PLUG] tutoring rates?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Tue Oct 24 04:12:02 UTC 2006

>From: tonyr <tonyr at hevanet.com>
> A friend of a friend wants to get up to speed on Linux relatively
> quickly and asked me to tutor him.  I've used Linux for
> several years (Red Hat, Mandrake/Mandriva, now (K)ubuntu) and can
> do what he is asking.  I'm not sure what rate to charge, if any.  I've
> tutored before in the public schools on a volunteer basis, but never
> Linux, except on an informal basis.  The only references I have found
> on the net with rates (one in Canada, one in NC) quote $15/hr as a
> minimum.  Is that good? Bad? Indifferent?  Anybody doing anything
> like this now?

Unless you're exchanging it for something else, ridiculously low. You
might get some at Universities at that rate as a service to the students,
in exchange for volunteer work or something else. Otherwise, $15/hr is
someone who can tell you what the book says, but has never actually done
anything vaguely related.

Figure a decent system admin in a real position is going to be $20/hr
full-time, with benefits. The above situation is more like a contracting
situation, so more like $40/hr. *If* this is pay-only not a favor to a
friend. The other way would be a teacher in front of a class, in which
case the students might pay merely that amount.