[PLUG] PC Purchase

tonyr tonyr at hevanet.com
Tue Oct 24 18:10:46 UTC 2006

I'm no expert, and others will no doubt have other opinions. I usually
go to http://www.pricewatch.com/ and look under Computers/Notebooks
to see waht the spread is. Low end w/winXP seems to be about $450-700,
which gets you 2+GHz (single core), 512-1Gb mem, 60-250GB HD, nice
graphics with dedicated memory, but no monitor. LCD monitors seem to be
about $150-$250. There are also PCs with No OS, if you're looking for
something unspoiled on to which to install Linux. The CPUs are
comparable, but the mem/HD configurations tend to start out smaller.
On the upside, the prices start at about $200 (still no monitor). And
there are outfits like System76 <http://system76.com/> that sell PCs
with Linux installed.

This is just a starting point. Dual core/64bit architectures are taking
over, at least from the advertising standpoint, and there doesn't seem
to be much of a price hit, if any.

Good Luck.

- tony