[PLUG] Nvidia-update on Suse 10.1

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Oct 26 15:16:05 UTC 2006

Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> This is the first Nvidia card I've had. I assumed it would handle 3D,
> but when I tried to run the included game XMOTO (2D), I got an error
> message:

X Warning...
  /\
 / !\        3D Hardware Support Not Available
 ----
No 3D graphics card available or 3D support is not configured yet.
However the application uses or requires 3D hardware support.

> Because of licensing issues, certain closed source drivers
> are no longer included, and have to be installed separately. The
> Using_10.1 page, http://en.opensuse.org/Using_10.1 gives complete
> directions for installing "the famous Nvidia-update". It's very
> straight forward, and the game now runs. (I don't imagine I'll
> spend any time with the game, but it was useful to test the
> capabilities of the driver.)

As I was writing that last post I was noticing that the text looked
fuzzier than before. I checked text in a number of other windows and
noticed the same thing. I decided to switch back to the previous
xorg.conf file and, sure enough, the text is now back to nice and crisp.

Glad I'm not into 3D games, because I won't be using the Nvidia-update
driver. And I'm VERY glad I saw that xorg.conf was backed up during the
Nvidia-update installation process. It only took me 5 minutes to figure
out where it was kept! Time stamps on the files told me which one was
which (there was another backup made a few minutes later by sax2).

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens