[PLUG] Installing a Guest OS in VMware Server

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Oct 26 19:52:51 UTC 2006

Several attempts to install Win98SE as a guest OS in VMware Server have
all failed at the same point. After "power on" the virtual screen
reports that I have an invalid system disk.

I have replaced the CD drive several times (a CD/RW burner, a DVD drive,
and two other CD drives), and have tried copying the Win98SE CD to an
.iso file several times using the command:

dd if=/dev/hdc of=Win98SE.iso

The latest attempt was with the newest (to me) CD drive. Shortly before
the copy finished, the annoying alarm that I've been getting from time
to time, returned. The copy finished, and I power cycled the machine to
silence the alarm. I've repeated the process with two separate Win98SE CDs.

In each case, I've edited the virtual machine settings and, using the
browse button, selected the .iso file I just created.

What I can't tell is if I've got a whole house full of marginal drives,
or if there is something else I'm doing wrong.

Any ideas?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens