[PLUG] Installing a Guest OS in VMware Server

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Oct 27 03:40:25 UTC 2006

jason justman wrote:
> that was supposed to be a joke, definitely OT.   RMS = short for richard
> stallman

Rich got me on that one. I was on my way out the door and it didn't sink
in until I was on my way down the street. Good one!

> is it possible the win 98 disk is bad?

Any thing's possible, but I doubt the disks are bad. One of them worked
just a couple of weeks ago -- I should have found a way to keep the .iso
files before reloading SuSE 10.1. I got the same error with the second
one, today.

The main thing that is different is that for the first installation, I
installed VMware Server from the tarball; this installation is the rpm
YaST has available. With the first one, I hadn't gotten to the part
where I could launch VMware as an ordinary user, but was running it as
root. With this one, the rpm sets all that up for me.

Is it possible that there are ownership issues with the .iso files? I
run dd as a normal user, so the ownership of Win98SE.iso is rsteff -
users, and the permissions are -rw-r--r--. Does VMware need something else?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens