[PLUG] VMWare Player and Samba and caching

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 27 14:24:30 UTC 2006

Since VMWare is a hot topic, I will ask a few questions I have
encountered so far.  Here's the first:

I have a copy [*1] of windows 98 SE running under VMWare under
Linux, connected through VMWare's Samba to my account on the
native Linux host "t30".  I can see the files in \\T30\keithl\
and copy them into Windoze.  The problem is, when I copy a file
from the host, change it, then copy it again, I get the old
version.  It is behaving like the copy process is reading out
of a cache somewhere.  The workaround is to make a renamed copy
on the host, copy into the guest,  and then rename the copy back
on the guest, but this is time consuming and error prone.  Not
to mention very lame.

Is this a problem with Windows 98?  Samba?  VMWare's version of
Samba?  Or am I being smitten by an angry God, disgusted with my
profane and unnatural descent into Microsoft Hell? :-)

Note, this is part of a project to port a Windows app to Linux,
so at some point I can ditch VMWare and return to blessed purity.
Thus I discount the smiting explanation,  God should favor the
recovery of a lost program into the blessed light of Linux!  :-)

Tee hees aside, have any of you seen this apparent caching problem
with VMWare, or can you suggest some alternate keywords besides
"caching" to Google the problem with?

Keith