Resolved: [PLUG] Installing a Guest OS in VMware Server

alan alan at clueserver.org
Sat Oct 28 15:45:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> I had a back and forth conversation with someone on the VMware Forum
> site. The recommendation was to install from the CD. Here's the
> instructions:
>
> With the virtual machine virtual CD-ROM drive configured to use the
> physical CD, power on the VM and when you see the VMware Logo click the
> mouse in the virtual machine window to get focus of the virtual machine
> and press the "Esc" key. Select the CD-ROM as the first boot device.
>
> This was a step I did not do before, the <ESC> and selection of the
> CD-ROM. Following that procedure, I successfully installed the guest OS,
> and then successfully installed the VMware Tools in the guest OS.

Also, for those that are interested, there is an issue with getting VMWare
to install on Fedora Core 6.

There is a bug in the installer that installs the 586 kernel instead of
the 686 kernel.  The fix is to install the 686 kernel and kernel-devel via
yum.  Should fix the problem.

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25