[PLUG] XDMCP and the Firewall

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Oct 31 13:40:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, William A Morita wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am trying to get XDMCP to operate on FC6 without disabling the
> firewall. I have tried explicitly opening port 177 for XDMCP, but
> that does not seem to be enough.

Well, you'll probably also need port 6000 (x11) and perhaps 7100
(xfs).

The other thing is that most X configurations these days don't open
themselves to remote access. You'll have to tweak things a bit. If
you're using GNOME, you'll want to start in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf.
Look for the [xdmcp] section. (If you're using a more generic X login
manager, look in /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess.)

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com