[PLUG] pyramid vs. Berling ucLibc

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Sep 4 08:16:07 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Carla" == Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> writes:

Carla> Pinging Russell, or any interested personages.... I meant to
Carla> follow up on the "ick" directed at Bering ucLibc, and was
Carla> wondering why?

Only because, compared to pebble/pyramid, my experience with Bering is
limited to a brush associated with the stock firmware on the Netgear
WGT634U.  It isn't an "ick" you should rely on, just a personal
involuntary convulsion.  Sorry about that.

The stock wgt firmware using a LEAF Bering derived system.  It is
interesting in that the system unpacks itself from tarballs into a
ramdisk as it boots up.  Which is interesting and cool in its own way,
but it does result in a system that takes 2 minutes to boot on the
wgt.  Not sure how much that taints the system you were referring to.

One alternative on the wgt is OpenWgt, which boots in about 15
seconds.  It (iirc) using a jffs2 filesystem.  OpenWrt using a couple
different strategies, one is a combination SquashFS/Jffs2 which boots
in about 30 seconds (the jffs2 file system here is the rootfs and
contains symbolic links into the read-only squashfs tree).

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net