[PLUG] partition mounts read-only

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon Sep 4 15:40:35 UTC 2006

I come across this once many years ago but can't find anything current
on the web, except in relation to NTFS, so I'm hoping I can get a clue
from someone on the list.

Suddenly a partition started having write errors ( remote system so I
haven't seen the actual messages ) and when the system was rebooted it
came up reporting that fsck needed to be run on the partition.

I helped the remote tech walk through the process and the system
appeared to be fine but a few hours later it went bonkers again and when
it was rebooted the partion came up as read-only so the mount point (
/var/log ) is none writeable.

I can take the partition out of the loop but I'm hoping it might just be
my "remote eyes" missed something. :-)

Suggestions, clues?

TIA,
Rod