[PLUG] Personalized Search Page Generator?

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Mon Sep 4 17:28:33 UTC 2006

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> The top 10 or so of my browser bookmarks are for search engines:
> Google, Wikipedia, Addall(books), Switchboard, etc.  It would not
> seem to difficult to build a local html (or if necessary, Java)
> webpage that I can use as a homepage and search all these different
> services by clicking different activation buttons.  Not a customized
> portal page elsewhere, a page that is stored on my own machine that
> I control.
>
> I am not looking for the usual RSS feed pages, lots of content but
> few data entry boxes.
>
> If such a thing is possible, someone has probably already thought of
> it, and a tool to design such customized home pages may be out there
> on the web.  Any suggestions?

Have you seen Rollyo?  It's not exactly what you're talking about, but
it does allow you to create customized searches using only the search
engines you specify.  So, for example, if you have three or four book
sites you like to search, you could make a Rollyo that searches all of
them with one query.  I've seen it embedded in websites and blogs.  You
can also add it to Firefox.

http://rollyo.com/about.html

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson