[PLUG] Re: emacs/SLIME afficianados?

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Tue Sep 5 02:06:08 UTC 2006

I demonstrated poor troubleshooting skills here.  I should clarify.  The
issue isn't emacs or slime, it's SBCL and my lack of knowledge o how to
use it.  I get the same problems in an SBCL image launched from a shell.
The subject of this thread should be "SBCL afficianados?" or "CMUCL
afficianados or derivatives thereof, especially SBCL?"

But who develops lisp code in a shell-launched SBCL when emacs/SLIME is
so much nicer?  So the only place I ever see my issues is in this
environment.  You can see where I made my error in judgement.

When I say "system packages", I mean libraries like cl-sql, cl-ppcre,
cl-uffi, etc.  These are all asdf packages, and they all compile into
/var/cache/common-lisp-controller/.  Gentoo (my distro) uses the same
common-lisp-controller as debian.  Maybe this is the defining difference
between code that behaves correctly in the debugger vs. my code, or maybe
not.  It's one factor to consider.  The other factor is that I do not
compile .fasl files in my project code; I simply load the files into the
running lisp.  Intuition tells me that this should make it easier for the
debugger to find the source for the code in a backtrace because it does
not have to compare source to .fasl, but I may be wrong.

In my project files, I have a "top-level" source file that I load, and
it contains (load "<filename>.lisp") forms that handle the loading of the
next group of files, and they load more files in turn, until all the
files are loaded.  I will experiment with (compile "<filename>.lisp")
followed by (load "<filename>.fasl"), and see if that makes any
difference.

I'm writing website code, which is why I don't want to treat it like an
asdf package, putting it in /usr/share/common-lisp/source/.  I don't
want to point webserver document-roots at root-owned paths.
Using common-lisp-controller is more acceptable because the cache is
owned by the owner of the lisp image, and its location is hidden from
the webserver behind an interface.

Carlos Konstanski