[PLUG] CRT dark...

Dave Houston dave.houston at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 18:02:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 11:14 -0600, Carlos Konstanski wrote:

> I'm no expert on these things, but isn't the interface between the video
> card and monitor completely divorced from the interface between the
> kernel and video card?  In other words, shouldn't this be a question of
> compatibility between a monitor and a video card, with no mention at all
> of the OS?

For the most part, yes.  There are some special instances where the
video card driver and X(.org) need to know about how the monitor is
plugged in -- usually in a dual-headed environment, or on a card with
both a DVI and a VGA output (and you're using both).  But otherwise,
yes.

We wouldn't get very far into the boot process if monitors didn't work
without the OS telling them what to do. ;)

--
Dave Houston <dave.houston at gmail.com>