[PLUG] Failing Hardware

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Sep 7 16:15:43 UTC 2006

My current machine has re-booted itself twice in the last 24-48 hours. I
was sitting at my desk the first time it happened, and watched it
respond the way it would if I had hit the hardware reset button on the
front of the box. The second time was overnight last night.

Any recommendations on what to test to see if this is a relatively
simple fix?

The machine is an older Micron: Pentium II, 192MB RAM.

After the first time, SuSE 9.1 booted correctly and all programs that I
normally use started correctly. After the second time, my network card
configuration was hosed (this has happened before), and when I started
Thunderbird and Firefox, neither opened with my usual profile, but
instead wanted me to select one. Realizing that there was a network
issue, I started YaST, made it look like I had edited the Ethernet card
configuration, and clicked on "finish". In the past, that's all I needed
to do, but this time that wasn't enough -- I still could not see outside
this machine. However, a re-boot cleared whatever was confused, and I'm
back to normal, as far as I can tell. At least Thunderbird and Firefox
started with my profile.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens